Welcome to another Legislative Roundup, wherein we highlight some bills that are relevant to the fight to transform our communities. Check out the bills from the week of March 22, 2021!
- Why we’re watching: This pandemic revealed a lot about America. One of these revelations was the importance of immigrant communities as essential workers, despite low pay and poor conditions. Sen. Alex Padilla’s Citizenship for Essential Workers Act will provide this group with a clear, cheap, and quick path to citizenship.
- Why we’re watching: Arizona has often found itself in the national spotlight due to poor policing. HB2461 seeks to change that by providing revenue for body cameras through 2026 for its officers. This technology will help shine a light on citizen and law enforcement interactions. We only hope they also consider legislation to mandate their usage.
- Why we’re watching: While most of the bills in this series are helpful in the fight for equity, this one is different. The proposal in question would ban chokeholds but permit Kansas City police officers to live outside of the city. Such an attachment is a blow to community and police relations and permits officers to act as an occupying force, despite the bill’s positives.
- Why we’re watching: Mandatory minimums have been weaponized against communities of color for decades. They sidestep judicial discretion and prioritize punishment over rehabilitation. We hope Oregon moves forward with this bill, which would end mandatory minimum sentencing for most crimes in the state!
- Why we’re watching: We’ve been tracking this bill for a while now and it just keeps advancing through the Washington Legislature. At its core, the proposal recognizes the community’s eroded trust in law enforcement and seeks to rectify this injustice through civilian oversight boards.
What do you think of the bills in this week’s roundup? Did we miss anything? Drop us a line on any of our social channels or at email@example.com or you can contact us through our contact us form. Let us know what’s happening in YOUR neighborhood!