Neighborhood FORWARD believes in the reform and restructuring of our current criminal justice system at all levels, starting with examining what we currently choose to criminalize. Many of our current laws disproportionately affect marginalized groups and needlessly treat social problems, such as addiction, poverty, and homelessness, as criminal issues. Neighborhood FORWARD supports a rehabilitative prison system with a focus on reentry, and we renounce excessive parole requirements, discriminatory hiring practices, and other penalties that present barriers to community reentry.
- Brennan Center for Justice – The fight to reduce mass incarceration just got a big boost.
- Reuters – Biden’s sentencing panel noms vow to implement criminal justice reform law
- Center for American Progress – Criminal Justice Reform
- The White House – FACT SHEET: President Biden’s Safer American Plan
- NORML – Analysis: Racial Disparities in Marijuana Possession Arrests Becoming More Pronounced in Prohibition States
- Brookings – REPORT: A better path forward for criminal justice: Changing prisons to help people change