Last week we focused on our federal government. We didn’t stop doing that of course, but check out this local news too!
- Arizonans for Voter ID Act
- Why we’re watching: Arizona Republicans are introducing a ballot measure giving the state’s citizens a chance to oppress minority votes for themselves. The measure would require photo identification on election day and outlaw third-party ballot collection, among other restrictions.
- Anti-Camping Ordinance
- Why we’re watching: This is the latest in Los Angeles’ crusade against the comfort and rights of homeless citizens. Councilman Joe Buscaino proposed using the city’s local anti-camping laws to ban tents within 500 feet of any public school. Not only would this erroneously teach children that homeless individuals are dangerous, but also does nothing to fix California’s housing access problem.
- 2021-2022 School Calendar
- Why we’re watching: The Stonington Board of Education recently decided to reverse their earlier decision to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day on the school calendar. This flawed decision comes after the board received complaints about Critical Race Theory.
- John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act
- Why we’re watching: The Supreme Court has gutted the Voting Rights Act of 1965 in recent years and now Congress is responding. This bill would restore that landmark legislation to its former glory and scope by requiring municipalities with a history of voter discrimination to get all new regulations approved by the federal government.
- FY2022 Budget Resolution
- Why we’re watching: This bill, which essentially guides Congress’ spending for the next year, is poised to be a tremendous expansion of social services. These reforms include paid family leave, conservation programs, tuition-free community college, and tax cuts for the middle class.
What do you think of the bills in this week’s legislative roundup? Did we miss anything? Drop us a line on any of our social channels or hit us up through our contact us form. Let us know what’s happening in YOUR neighborhood!